Sunday 18 November 2018

£1.00 a Day Eating Challenge: Day One



At 2pm, hunger struck.  Hard enough that the thought of only eating soup for the rest of the day just didn't seem realistic.  So I cooked myself some spaghetti bolognese of a kind, using two fresh onions, a tin of tomatoes, a tin of kidney beans and about 150g (dry weigh) of spaghetti.  I've been eating a lot of spaghetti recently.  This perfectly serviceable brand is available in the Co-op for 33p per 500g packet.



Normally it's a meal I'd bulk out with some mushrooms but I had none to hand, so beans would have to do.  I fried the onions for a minute or two in sunflower oil before stirring in the tomatoes, and then the beans.  I added some dried sage and salt, stirred and left to simmer on a low heat in the frying pan while the spaghetti boiled.

There was enough for two portions.  I ate one, then went for a nap.  I'm living the dream.



Later when I woke up I ate the rest, and a little later than that, a bowl of leek and potato soup, with the last of the bread made earlier this week.

I made some more dough and left it to rise overnight.  Using a little more sugar than is usually advised in recipes, for this reason:


Since the "rules" allow me to use food I've already bought, I'm counting today's spends as £0.00.  That's £2.00 in the bank for the next day.  So far, so good - but supplies are already fairly low.  The challenge begins.






Related posts

Never-Ending Soup
A Soup Made of Scraps
Grow Your Own Meals Indoors, Forever and Ever?


******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.