Monday 2 July 2018

Vegetable Politics




Peas are good, peas are good, but I wonder if I'll bother to grow any next year. Pro: they're delicious straight from the pod, and last night I sat by the fire in the cool of the evening, snacking my way through generous handfuls. Con: the space they take up, relative to the nutritional value, doesn't seem to be worth it. I think I'll focus more next year on bigger vegetables, and those that keep longer, like potatoes, onions, and squash.

Squash.  Can't remember which variety,
but I'm hoping I'll soon find out
I'm quite pleased with my squash plant so far: the only one of four that germinated from the seeds I sowed at the end of March, but I counted 13 buds on the plant yesterday, all ready to flower any day now, after which the bees will do their bees knees and the edible parts should start to grow. Multiply that by several next year, and that's a lot of squash to harvest in the autumn.

I think I'll stick to using peas for growing microgreens - something I dived into head first last year, but which this year I've had little inclination to focus on, since aquiring the allotment.  What about growing microgreens outdoors?  Probably not.  Something for the brain's back burner.

As for beans, I think once I've looked a bit more into the different varieties I can grow, I can make some plans to have continuous crop on the go more or less year round.  This makes me happy.  Beans are high in protein, and can be dried to preserve for months.  Broad beans, I learned this week, start to look pretty disgusting when dried and are too delicious not to eat fresh, so I may grow a few next year.  But it's better if I branch out to other varieties I know are more conducive to drying: borlotti beans, I know that already, but what else?









Related posts

Beans Talk
Microgreens and Soup Conundrums
My first week as a microgreen gardener
******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.