Let's start with the success. Here's my try of radish greens (or should I say reds?) just four days after sowing.
A very impressive rate of growth and germination. I'll be using Nicky's Nursery again, no doubt about that. I grew the seeds on compost in the wooden fruit tray I first used for peas, to no avail, when I started this project two weeks ago. This time I've used a layer of fleece cloth underneath the compost instead of a black bag. No signs of mould, and flies don't seem much interested in this either. Very low maintenance so far: I've just given them a spray once a day and let them do their thing.
Here's something interesting. Peas on the windowsill, getting plenty of direct sunlight:
And peas on top of my chest of drawers, sown from the same batch at the same time, in the same room but getting hardly any direct sunlight at all:
Darkness would seem to be what peas prefer. Noted for future reference.
Meanwhile, I decided to salvage what I could of the mung beans and just plant them in a few pots to see what would happen. To (hopefully) prevent the spread of any further mould, I removed only a few shoots that had germinated, and sterilised the pots in hot water with a little bleach and white vinegar before replanting. Here they are in my kitchen:
Rather sad really, but it's a shame to let the whole tray go to waste.
Just wondering now what to grow next week. Looking forward to a radish and pea shoot salad of some kind in the next few days.
My first week as a microgreen gardener
Microgreens: Week Two Update
Mould Invades the Mung Beans
See all posts labelled 'microgreens'
See all posts labelled 'indoor-gardening'
Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site. I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog. So it's really nothing to be afraid of. Cheers.