Saturday 26 August 2017

Allotment Update




I spent four hours on the allotment on Thursday.  It felt great.  I worked a little, then I rested; I worked and then I rested again.  Nothing too strenuous, one task at a time, just enjoying the space and the open air.  I got a lot done.


I set to work on the shadier edge of the plot, where I discovered a "ready made" bed marked off about six feet wide of the fence, which had been covered in the black plastic "weed-suppressing" material I keep finding all over.  I pulled off the overgrowth and some of the other junk as I found it to liberate the soil underneath.


Many, many blackberries.  As I lifted wood and plastic, I snacked.


It's interesting to watch how they seem to ripen at random, in their own sweet time.


 Spiders are welcome here, keeping watch over the flies that congregate around the wormery.



There was more black plastic, covered in layers of wood chips, along the edge of the bed by the path, which I diligently scooped up into a wheelbarrow, to free more growing space.  Should make a nice flower bed.


I understand you do this to stop weeds growing.  I'm sure woodchips have other uses, such as for "mulching" plants over winter, so I've moved any I've found into a pile for later use.  After much scooping, tugging and and cutting, the flower bed to be was free:



Snails are plentiful. Some have abandoned their shells for the next life.  Some have not, though you can't always tell straight away.  I gather them together and let them go about their business.


It's hard to convey the space in words and pictures though, so I made a video.  Comments and suggestions, as always, most welcome.










 Subscribe to RSS

See all posts labelled 'allotment'

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.