Sunday 6 August 2017

Eating from the Bottomless Pickle Jar



The more good things that happen in my life, the more I have to blog about, and the less time I have to blog about them. So it goes. Tomorrow morning I've a long bus journey and nothing much else to do, so I intend to schedule some posts about my adventures over the post week, mostly but not exclusively allotment-related.

To kick things off though, a little update on a tiny source of zero waste and vegan joy. You may recall my posts a few weeks back about Wombles (here and here) in which I rekindled my love of pickling.  Here's how the bottomless pickle jar looks today, three weeks later:


Remember how I also started a kind of microgreen table forest on my kitchen table, from which to draw endless snacks, too?


Well, put the two together, and what do you have?  A truly bountiful source of nutritious snacks, garnishes, meal accompaniments, and even entire meals.  I'm getting to the stage now where I'm growing more microgreens than I can eat, so the solution is obvious.

A question you might be asking: is this hygienic and safe?  Pickling enthusiasts can explain at great length the importance of cleaning and sterilising your jars before use, and generally the received wisdom seems to be that you should eat the entire contents of a jar of pickles within a few days of opening, once the seal is broken, so to speak.

Well, I haven't had any issues so far.  The original spinach I crammed in there would have rotted by now, but sampled from the jar it is tasty as you like.  I've had no mould or any signs of contamination.  As a precaution, every few times I open the jar, I soak the fleece cloth you can see in the picture above in vinegar, and ensure the lid is screwed tightly on when I replace it.  The jar just sits in my cupboard, pickling away.  No fridge, no problem.


******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.






Related posts

A Soup Made of Scraps
Another Soup Made of Scraps
Zero Waste Eating is Good for You
What is a meal? (and other difficult questions)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.