Wednesday 2 August 2017

Get on My Land



Something wonderful is happening.  On Monday, the day after I met Jenny for a tour of the local allotments, and Jenny was on the phone with an offer.  She would like to offer me a plot on a six month trial basis.  Assuming I could make something of it in that time, and I could keep the plot indefinitely.  I could do this for free, without the annual £40 fee, which I would only have to pay if I was granted permanent status from February.

Yes.

YES.

So, I present, my allotment:

Mine.

To give you a rough idea of the size of the plot, the bed you can see in the centre is approximately 15ft x 6ft.  There is another one of equal size next to it, and room for probably three or for more of the same.  With the undergrowth cleared, I'd estimate the whole plot is about 50 square feet.  This is only a guess: I am terrible at measurements.  I will have some more accurate figures for you shortly.  I made a quick visit there this morning after my night shift to take some pictures, before scuttling home to bed.  Anyway, here are some more pictures:

A little shed, for my own use.

A dilapidated greenhouse; also mine.

One of the beds, recently used for potatoes.
About the only part that seems to have been maintained by the previous user.

Some parts of the plot will need more work than others:




An impressive rhubarb plant:


Rhubarb seems to illicit strong emotions in some of my friends, who like me, are from Yorkshire.  People from Yorkshire love rhubarb.  I've never been much of a fan.

Some views inside the greenhouse, and the shed:




Evidently, there is much to be done, but I can't tell you just how happy this makes me.  Here's an album of all the pictures I've taken so far, to which I'll be adding many more.  Feel free to follow along.  Naturally, I'll be posting regular updates of my progress.  I'm well aware of the challenge ahead, and how much there is to learn, so appreciate all and any ideas.  Dig for victory!



 Subscribe to RSS

******
Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.