Sunday 13 August 2017

Sun Day




It's a glorious sunny morning here in Bury, and while soon we may come to fear such things, in the meantime, let's immerse ourselves in the nature (or what's left of it).  Turmeric and orange peels have proved themselves excellent natural pesticides for my pepper plants:


Three plants have made their presence felt, and aren't going anywhere any time soon.  As for the butternut squash, these have not shared the peppers' enthusiasm for being alive.  I took another one over this morning, and planted it anyway.  I'm not giving up so easily on them.  Butternut squash are enormous vegetables, and last a long time when picked, which makes them ideal for the fridgeless.

I added some chives to the herb patch.



There's a box of discarded gardening junk in shed I've started to rummage through, and this morning I came across these:



Onions!  They've gone straight into the bed next to the peppers.  I'm confident this was the right thing to do, though now I'll need to find out how to make them last over the winter.  Most other people with allotments seem to be digging up their onions just now.  The cycle of life.

I did a bit more weeding, and came across what I assume are strawberries:






They've put out some runners, so this after I think I'll find a spot for these; again, in preparation for the winter.

I don't know what this is:


This, however, is a ladybird:


This is lavender:



I took this over last week, and one of the plants flowered almost immediately, having refused to do so indoors.  I rewarded the three of them with spacious new pots.

Sarah's coming over this afternoon, and we're going to get to work on the bindweed.







 Subscribe to RSS

Related posts

Get On My Land
My First Weekend on the Allotment
Orange is the New Green

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.