Sunday 17 September 2017

Allotment Update



A good 5 or 6 hours on the allotment today.  It felt...right.  The more time I spend outside, around plants, feeling the air, listening, the more right it feels.  This could be where I am supposed to be.

I pruned the blackcurrant bush, and marked its territory with a circle of bricks.  Mulched it a bit.


I started a wall to mark of the edge of the path and what I call the 'inedible bed', which I have been gradually filling with shrubs and the like.

Build that wall!

I think I'll grow thyme in the cracks between the bricks, next year.

Earlier this week I moved my acer tree from the indoors to out, as it was looking very sad.  I hope she fares better out here.



An anti-ladybird from another dimension has been to visit the compost bin.  I've never seen one like this before before.  I've started to collect the pictures I take of creatures I see on the allotment into an album, which you can view here.  To such tiny things we owe our lives.




I've been thinking about colour a lot recently but have nothing to say about it yet.  Some labour: I've removed the wood chips and the nasty black plastic sheet beneath them from the space between the beds and the shed.  It was tiring, so I did it in short bursts, punctuated by Carlsberg.  But look at all this new potential growing space:


Black plastic sheeting would seem to be an allotmenter's staple, but I don't like it.  It suppresses weeds.  I've even heard it referred to as "weed suppressant membrane".  That just sounds so...unnatural.  Clinical?  I understand why you might wish to use it, but I want my allotment to be a garden as well as a farm.  A work of art.  Weeds are welcome here.  What is a weed, really?  Who cares?  Here's another, more conventional ladybird, probably from this world:


In my own little, and still artificial, space, I am trying to listen to nature.  I don't even know what that means yet.  You have to be very, very quiet, and still.  Something humans are not innately good at.

The onions I sowed two weeks back have sprouted!  The broccoli too!  This is happiness.



I thought it would be interesting to 'greenhouse' some of the shoots inside re-purposed plastic bottles, and leave some of them to the elements, to see what difference it makes.  The unnatural world has its uses.






Related posts

Allotment Update (26-08-17)
Going Organic
Orange is the New Green
Allotment Update (and some brief morning whimsy)


******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.