Tuesday 4 September 2018

I'm making a terrarium




This week I am fascinated by terrariums: miniature gardens and eco systems inside glass jars. They're an art form.


https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/27092035244564040/


https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/137359857365977077/

I've decided to make one of my own, using the beautiful glass globe (25-30 litre capacity, at a guess) I used to make my first batch of blackberry wine, now emptied and strained into a demijohn to complete fermenting, which meant I could start to fill it up with rocks and compost.  "Demijohn" is a fun word to say.


Some claim you're supposed to put a layer of charcoal between the soil and the rocks, but I don't accept that.  There's a good layer of rocks on the bottom to allow for drainage, and on top of these I've put about six inches of soil mixed with fabulous, nutritious worm compost from the allotment. Now all that remains is the artistry: adding and arranging the plants.  So far I've put in a cutting from a new peperomia albovittata I acquired over the weekend, and a cutting of a purple-leaved something whose name I do not know. Looking at it now, this may have to be removed, as its dark leaves are almost invisible against the soil and behind the glass. On the other hand, this plant does have a tendency to spread, so may make a useful ground cover, perhaps contrasted against some lighter coloured pebbles.


This morning I added a thyme cutting, because at this scale, it looks like a tree.



There are many things to consider: layers, density, the overall aesthetic: should it be tacky or tasteful? Alien or realistic? The joy is in answering this question by asking it.



Related posts

Give and Take
Seedling and Indoor Gardening Update
The Art of Pottering

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.