Tuesday 20 November 2018

£1.00 a Day Eating Challenge: Day Three



Today I ran out of milk.*  Soy milk sells for £1.50 a carton, and with a budget ceiling today of £3 I don't think I'll be replacing that just yet.  So black coffee it is, for the next few days.  Just when I'd been trying to cut down on my coffee intake as well. So it goes.

Breakfast was bread and jam again, from the same loaf as I made yesterday, followed by tea and oranges.  Have you ever had tea and oranges?  What I'm referring to is, a bowl of hot water, with a tea bag or two in it, and in which you soak slices of an orange.  Then you eat the warm, tea-infused orange slices.  I imagine this is what they do in China, where all the tea is.


It's a soothing experience, and leaves you with some liquid which you can dilute with water to feed your plants; and some orange peels which despite what you may have heard, are fine to throw on the compost. Or just scatter them in the garden to deter cats.

Lunch was beans on toast, or beans on bread anyway, since I didn't bother to toast the bread. Homemade bread is best enjoyed as thick, bricky slices, which wouldn't fit in a toaster and also, I don't own a toaster. The baked beans stockpile is shrinking fast.

Food shopping could no longer be avoided. Tomorrow was a work day - I work three days a week as my contract requires and when I get my act together I like to "prep" three days of meals to take to work with me for the fridge-freezer. That means, this week, it's slow cooker vegan chilli time. Again.



At the Co-op, I boight:


  • 2 tins of kidney beans (90p)
  • 1 tin of peas (23p)
  • 1 tub of mushrooms (reduced to 73p from £1.00)
  • 500g wholewheat pasta (56p)
  • 1 bag of "marvellous mishapes" onions (which aren't mishapes at all really, just small, 49p)

£2.91 well spent, I think.

For the slow cooker chilli, I used six onions (they're about golf ball sized), two tins of tomatoes from my stockpile, a slash of oil (I've nearly run out now), one tin of kidney beans, the tin of peas, and all of the mushrooms.


To this I added a generous scoop of cumin powder, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, and a pinch of chilli powder. It was in the pot by 11am, and ready to eat by 6.  I also threw in these:

Pathetic. 

These are the last potatoes of the year. I sowed them in August on the allotment, assured they were  of a "late variety", and would be supplying me with a bounty well through until Christmas. This was not the case. Not at all. Still, it's handful, which is a portion, so into the pot they went.

Tomorrow's budget: £1.09. Plenty of chilli left for a good 2-3 more meals. All is going well.






*As a vegan, it's been a joy to see that it's now permissible for "alt milk" to advertise itself as the humane alternative to cow's milk, and even explicitly to call cow's milk inhumane, because that's what it is, and I like truth.  When I say "milk", I'm referring to soy (or sometimes almond, oat, etc) milk, since as far as I'm concerned that's the only milk there should be.  Language is part of the battle.


Related posts

Experimental High Protein Vegan Breakfast Energy Bars
What is a meal? (And other difficult questions)



******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.