Sunday 2 June 2019

Fermented Garlic Report




Well, I have to tell you, the wild garlic I fermented into a jar two weeks ago was delicious.  Salty, chewy and invigorating.  The only real downside is how much of it gets stuck in your teeth.  And even that can be fun.

Fun.


It's probably psychological, since I was already aware of the possible relation between healthy gut bacteria and healthy brains but all week, chewing my way through the first jar, I've been feeling great.  From above average to the point where I'm smiling in public as I go about my day, indifferent to how this probably makes me look like a maniac.

Anyway, since then, I've been on another forage, and returned with a whole bag full of leaves, enough to ferment into a jar this size:

Fun size.
It also occurred to me the same process would probably work with spinach, too, so here's a test size jar of just harvested allotment spinach, all sealed up and doing its thing:


Fun, fun, fun.

Recipes for "lacto-fermented" spinach I had a look at recommended including garlic (actual "garlic") and/or a slice of lemon in the mix, but I decided not to bother.  I'm sure this won't be an issue.

So, another lesson learned: fermenting green food is cheap, easy, delicious, and makes you grin at strangers like a nutcase.  It's June now, which means the wild garlic season is closing, so I'll be venturing back into the woods before too long to stock up on as much as I can.  What else can be fermented?  I'm having a good time.







Related posts

Wild Garlic Experiments
Fruits of the Forage
Give and Take

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.