Tuesday 16 July 2019

Stick, Man.




I don't need a walking stick, but who knows?  Maybe I'll live to be old enough to need one.  Or, failing that, old enough to look like I need one.  I'm neither yet, but maybe I'll eventually be both. I hope so.  Not because I particularly relish the thought of declining mobility, but only because I recently came across this magnificent specimen of a stick:


If there's something we can all agree on, it's that this is a really great stick.  As you can see from the picture here of me holding it, it's the optimum height for a person like me (for example, me).  This stick and I were meant to be together.

I took it home, and it's been standing it my kitchen for a while, as sticks do when you leave them standing in your kitchen.  Yesterday I decided I would sand it down a little, to remove any ugliness.  So I did.  Then I began varnishing it.  The stick now looks like this:



I will continue to add layers of varnish as and when I feel like it, until such time as it feels right to stop.  At this point I will have a serviceable, beautiful, durable walking stick.  I'm looking forward to that.  I think my stick and I are going to be good friends.





Related posts

Shelf Life
Mundane Freedoms


******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.