Saturday 8 July 2017

The Cost of Living: 1st - 7th July 2017

After generating some interest (or at least, traffic) with my June 'Cost of Living' post, and suffering a brief existential crisis that same afternoon, I've decided to do things a little differently.  From now on I'll publish a weekly post of my expenses, with notes on my habits and circumstances where relevant to issues of frugality, simplicity, zero waste, veganism and so on.  Thought it might be a way to keep track of and share my eating habits, too.


Saturday 1st

Breakfast: Porridge.
Lunch: Food provided at a meeting at work.  Most of it wasn't vegan, but I had a banana with me.  So lunch was a banana.  And coffee.
Tea:  Pea shoots, mung beans, leeks and lentils.

One cup of coffee at Cafe 19 on the way home: £2.85  
50p charge on the card machine, had no cash on me.  Didn't think they did that anymore.  Hardly ever carry cash these days.
Topped up electric meter: £32
After topping up £40 in May and lowering this to £35 in June, trying to stick within a budget of £32 this month.
Onions and leeks to make soup: £1.60
Leeks were reduced from £1 to 60p in Marks and Spencer's by the bus stop.
Total: £36.45 (£2.85 non-essential)
Sunday 2nd

Loaf of bread and a bottle of olive oil: £5.78
The price of olive oil has gone up since last I bought it, and abandoned my half-arsed attempt not to use it any more.  Don't think I'll buy any more of it this month if it's £5 a bottle.
Washing powder and bleach: £3.38
A 1.3kg box of Co-op's own brand concentrated washing powder is perfectly adequate for a month's laundry for one person, costing £2.59.  I note with satisfaction it also meets my vegan requirements.
I don't like to use bleach, but I haven't found an alternative way of getting reusable dish cloths clean enough to use hygienically.
Microgreens seeds: £4.60
40g of "rambo" raddish seeds from Nicky's Nursery 
Brunch: Fried bread.
Lunch/tea:  Lentil, leek and onion soup.  Added plenty of dried sage, fresh basil and chives.
Tea/supper:  More soup.

Total: £13.76 (£4.60 non-essential)


Monday 3rd

Postage costs for two books sold on amazon:  £3.48

Breakfast: Porridge
Lunch:  Worked at the cafe today, where I'm allowed to help myself to lunch on my break.  See, there is such a thing free lunch.  Had a big plate of salad and a couple of leftover new potatoes with mint sauce.
Tea: Fried bread and the last of the weekend's soup.

Total: £3.48  (essential - counted as such because it's something I sold that will yield a profit overall, so isn't really an expense).


Tuesday 4th

Breakfast:  Fried bread with spring onions, basil, rosemary and mixed nuts.  Pretentious and delicious.
Lunch: Worked at the cafe again until 2pm.  Snacked on oven chips most of the shift.
Tea:  Quorn burger and chips at Infamous Diner.  About the only place in Manchester city centre I know that does unlimited coffee refills.  
Total: £11.40 - didn't spend money on anything else today. 

Wednesday 5th

Brunch: Fried onions.  Didn't feel like eating breakfast.  Had a big bowl of fried onions at about 11:30am and took a nap.  The joys of working part time.
Late lunch: Lentils and broccoli.
Tea: Toast and coffee.  Tried to drink more water again later at night, to stimulate the dream centres, and to avoid late night snacking.  Marginally successful.

Prescription: £8.60
Time to replace my inhaler.  Now that I'm barely using my Ventolin any more I'm saving £8.60 a month on prescription charges, which is nice.  Here's a post about my last asthma check up.  It's also about breathing in general, so it concerns you.  Everybody breathes.
Postage:  £1.74
Sold another book on amazon.  You've probably got some stuff you could sell.  Why not do that?  Why not sell all your stuff?
Coffee: £4.00
Coffee was on offer at the Co-op today, so I bought two bags of it.
Food and drink: £4.84
Broccoli, sweet potatoes and onions from Strawberry Gardens in Bury.  Another successful zero waste shop.
Total:  £19.18 (all essential)






Thursday 6th

Breakfast: Porridge
Lunch: lentils and brocolli.
Tea: Curly fries and coffee at Infamous again: £4.60
Dinner: Baked sweet potato with fried onions.
Total: £4.60 (not really essential this one, as I ate when I got home).

Friday 7th

"Every day, once a day, buy yourself a present".
Didn't eat breakfast this morning.  Bought some bread and jam though when I got to work.  Toast and strawberry jam.  Classic.  £1.75
Lunch: 'Lentil ridges' from the Co-op.  Barbecue flavour, or something.  Not zero waste.  I'm sorry.  Also bought some broccoli and some kale.  Might make some green soup tomorrow.  £2.52
Tea:  Quorn burger and curly fries, with several coffee refills, at Infamous again.  £11.40  I don't even know why I go here.  It's the only vegan thing they have, and only then when I remember to ask it without cheese.  Maybe it's the Twin Peaks flooring.
Total: £15.67

This brings the week's total spends to £104.54.  Today is Friday, and I was paid £262.86 for working last week.

WEEK END BALANCE: +£158.32

Next week Council Tax and rent are due.  That's all I have to say about that for now.
Some related recent posts:
Marx, Money and Me
Another perspective on freedom
Is minimalism boring?





******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.