Tuesday 27 March 2018

Spring on the Allotment



I declared it several times already, which was silly of me; but I think now I can finally say with confidence: spring is here.


Pollinators

"Bed one" on the allotment is now more or less full, in a higgeldy-piggeldy sort of way.  Here it is in diagram form:


Here's a key to what's what.

1.  Garlic - planted back in the autumn.
2.  Onions - sets planted a few weeks ago.
3.  Spinach - some seedlings planted out that I started back in January, plus more seeds sown today either side.
4.  Lemon thyme - This I bought from the garden centre and had it in the greenhouse - unfortunately it's not looking that healthy, so I'm hoping planting it out will revitalise it.  Lemon thyme (named for its citrus-y smell) is supposed to be good for deterring cats.  Likewise:
5.  Thyme - This is is a cutting Sarah gave me that's also not show much signs of life yet, but we live in hope.
6.  Red cabbage - Four seedlings under a cage to protect them from birds, been growing since late January.  Not sure if these will make it or not, but really hoping so.
7.  Borage - Seeds planted in February (no signs yet) and March (just yesterday in fact).
8.  Sage - Ahhh, sage.  My favourite herb.  Tasty and invincible.
9.  Chives  - These are popping up all over the plot.  Looking sturdy and tall already.
10.  Rosemary - A cutting from a bush I've rooted indoors over the winter.
11.  Lemon balm - Seeds sown this week.
12.  Coleus canina - "scaredy cat" plant - Cats have been an issue, so I read up a little on deterring them from digging and shitting where they ain't supposed to.  This is apparently the plant for that.  I'll be planting it exactly where that plastic bottle is, very soon.
13.  Onion - One solitary seedling survived the greenhouse disaster.  I awarded it with a patch of its own
14.  Onions - I think, or possibly garlic.  Looking forward to finding out.
15.  Dill - Seeds sown back end of February, just shown themselves this week.  Here's a close up:


Here's a close up of the super chives - also featuring rosemary, with an attempted photobomb by the sage:


Just outside of the bed's borders, lavender - it's been there since September and has stoically shrugged off the winter - another plant that I have high hopes for.  Bees.  BEES!

Here's a nice shot of an attractive blue flower whose name I forget, speaking of bees; I've seen various buzzy characters take an interest in this one.  I planted these bulbs last year, and I'm very glad I did.

A post shared by J. Bradshaw (@apossibleworld) on

Yeah, I'm on Instagram, too.  Follow me for pictures of things (mostly plants).







There's not a lot to see over in bed 2 yet but here's a few snaps.


Peas, which I thought perhaps I'd sown a little too early, before the snow, are starting work above ground.  I've sown some more seeds in the same patch for good measure.  The broad beans are doing alright too, but I've no recent pictures of them.  They've been minding their own business, don't worry about them.  Yesterday I planted some squash seeds bang in the middle of bed 2:


As I said, not much to see.  Yet.  Just at the top left there, that's where I've put my potatoes, as I posted about here.

Then of course, there's the shed.  Oh, sheddy sheddy shed.  Sheddy McShedface.  All I've really done so far is clear the space for you.



The base measures 92.5 x 66 inches, and close up it looks like this:


Those "slats" holding the planks together are 92.5 x 1 x 1.5 inches and need replacing with something not rotten.  I'd like to find out what sort of wood would be suitable for that, but don't really know how.  This project is going to take some time.  Anyway, enough of that for now.  SPRING IS HERE.  That's what matters.  Get gardening, now.









Related posts

Get on My Land
Another Exciting Episode Of
My Allotment: The First Two Months
2018: Year of the Shed
The Beast From the East Murdered My Greenhouse

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.