Monday 5 November 2018

Apple Wine Making Progress




Yesterday a friend gave me a lift over to Stalybridge to collect some demijohns from a Facebook Marketplace seller.  I got myself three, 5l size, for £10, which isn't bad.  "Demjohn" is a enjoyable word to say.  I may have mentioned that before, but it remains true.  Here they are:

1.5 johns.
I've acquired these because it'll soon be time to "rack" my apple wine for the first time.  It's been at it for a month now, and the blubbing has slowed, indicating that most of the sugar has been converted into alcohol by the yeast.  There's also a layer of residue at the bottom, and the colour of the liquid has lightened considerably.  These, from what I understand so far, are all good signs.  Here's the wine a month ago, newly transferred from bucket to demijohns:



...and here it is today:


As you can see, the liquid is still fairly cloudy, but I'm hoping this will improve as I separate, by siphon, the wine from the residue.  There's about 8 or 9 litres here, which makes for 10 - 12 bottles.  All is on track to have a supply of home-brewed wine, good enough to give away to others, ready for Christmas.




Related posts

Wining.  Every Day.
Fruits of the Forage
I'm making a terrarium

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.