Friday 30 November 2018

More Wine!




Guess what I've been doing today?




That's correct: brewing some more wine.  The apple wine has settled in for the winter now, and the urge to brew another batch has taken me.  From a charming wine making book loaned to me by Sarah, the recipe for "Clove and ginger wine" jumped straight of the page and into my world.  The ingredients are simple: unlike with most others, you don't need to gather a load of fruit extract the juice.  Aside from the usual yeast, sugar and water, all that's needed is three lemons, an orange, cloves, and a chunk of ginger.



Straight from the book, here's the recipe:




I played a little with the proportions, using closer to 40g of ginger and 20g of cloves, though the quantity of liquid and sugar is as advised here.  Likewise for the citrus fruits.  I'm hoping whatever I end up with approximates to my favourite tipple, Stone's Ginger Wine, which I drink because I like it, and because it's a way of collecting bottles to transfer my own brews into when they're ready.  The size of the necks just happens to fit the reusable cork stops I have, perfectly.  Which can't possibly be a coincidence.

For a muslin "bag", I used a muslin cloth, tied with an elastic band.  Needless to say, everything was sterilised at every stage and with that and the hour of simmering, everything was ready to go in well under two hours.


An excellent afternoon.  Oh, and I only spent £0.78 on food today.  All is well.

A man who knows what he's doing.





Related posts

Apple Wine Making Progress
Wining.  Every Day.
******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.