Saturday 29 December 2018

Garlic and Other Surprises


Down on the allotment this morning, pottering about, I come across this:



Looks like garlic to me.  Let's take a closer look:


Yep, that's a clove of garlic that is.  Must have dropped it when I was sowing some of my other cloves.  That green stalk you can see just above it: that's garlic too.  That's what garlic grows into when you plant a clove of it in autumn.  (Here's a video I made all about how to do that).

I found this and another clove just on the surface of the soil.  I gently removed them.  They were already putting down an impressive root structure:


Impressive indeed, but I don't think a clove of garlic would survive much longer above ground.  So I buried them elsewhere, one in my new and emerging bottle herb bed, and another in a spot where a cat likes to shit:


Garlic repels various "pests" of various sizes, cats included.  Aphids are another.  This year I've been spreading my garlic cloves around into smaller patches all over the allotment, in the hope of finally getting cats to stop shitting anywhere I'm growing things I want to eat.  My allotment is not a toilet, OK moggies?  Thank you.

It was a joy to have the opportunity to plant some more garlic, past the time of year when it's recommended to do so.  Pottering on, I spotted this:


This, I am almost certain, is a pea shoot.  Almost certain, because I sowed some peas about 3 or so weeks ago, after reading that this is a good idea, if you want some super-early peas in the early, early spring.  It seems to be working.  I've made myself a note to scatter some more next weekend.  Perhaps this year I could have an outdoor microgreens patch.  I had not considered this.





Related posts

My first week as a microgreen gardener
Weekend Allotment Fun
The Art of Pottering
******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.