Saturday 15 June 2019

Prayer Plant Curiosities




It's one of my favourite plants, the maranta leuconeura, or "prayer plant".  I never should have messed with mine so much by trying to propagate it during the winter.  It does seem to be very sensitive.  This may be because it's from the other side of the world so doesn't really feel at home in the English climate.  Can't blame it for that.  Anyway, I think I might have cracked it: the last cuttings I took from the parent (now deceased, no thanks to me) in spring and left in water to root for a good two to three months, seem to be taking to their new pots.



Those leaves are magnificent, aren't they?  Every one a work of art.  In the two weeks or so since I potted them, each has sprouted several new "baby" leaves.  I'm taking this as a positive sign, but I still can't really be sure.  Why so comparatively colourless?




I don't know.  I still have much to learn.  It's been unusually damp and sunless all through June so far across the UK, so I'm leave the prayer plants by the window to gather as much natural light as they can.  Apparently they don't like too much direct sunlight, so I'll move them away from the window if summer comes properly.





Related posts

Prayer Plant Pregnancy
Rubber and Cheese
Prayer Plant Progress
Prayer Plant Propagation
******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.