Tuesday 20 February 2018

Prayer Plant Progress




I thought maybe you'd like to see how the prayer plant cuttings I took in January were getting along.  It feels like it's been a very long winter, though the sky today is blue and there's that presence in the air, that feeling of life pushing back from the darker places where it sometimes hides; perhaps spring really is here at last, as I stupidly decided it already was five weeks ago, when it was not.  Patience is not an easy virtue to master.  Here, as in so many other places, we have a lot to learn from plants.


Here's a node from one of the January cuttings.  Those two pale yellow nobs you can see where the stems meet the knee are the beginnings of roots.  Patient as I said I wasn't, I already rooted a similar looking node in some soil in my bedroom last week.  I wondered if I should have waited longer for the roots to develop more but it occurred to me, stupid again, the roots want to be underground.  That's where they do their work.  So I planted it, and it seems to have been the right thing to do.  Already the leaves are lifting.  So I planted the node pictured above, too.  Now I have this:


Prayer plants leaves are beautiful and strange, like no other plant I've grown before.  I would like to fill my home with such things.  I took another cutting from the parent plant today, and jarred it up with some others.  My prayer plant factory.  Laboratory.  Nursery.

This is the parent:


These are the children:


Also pictured here, some of my potatoes, chitting away in the rising sun.  Plants, edible and inedible.  Yes.



Related posts

Prayer Plant Propagation
Prayer Plant Curiosities
******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.