Monday 1 July 2019

Spontaneous Summer Fruit Jam



The weekend was a scorcher, and I had the privilege of spending it over in North Yorkshire, where I saw many wonderful gardens and plants.  Here are some pictures.

I returned home a bag of mushy strawberries for which my mother had no further use.  Then this morning, back over at the allotment, I noticed that the blackcurrants are not only ripening, but starting to fall off the bush.  When you don't have a fridge, you have to act fast. 

So I decided I'd make some blackcurrant and strawberry jam, and call it "summer fruit jam".  That's really all this post is about.  As per what I learned last year about jam making, I heated equal parts fruit and sugar (about 500g) with half an 8g sachet of pectin, slowly bringing the mixture to just below the boil, adding the sugar gradually and stirring all the while until it dissolved.  Meanwhile, I sterilised two jars in the oven, and once they were ready, I poured the jam into the jars, immediately sealed, and left on the windowsill to cool.  Easy.  Here are some pictures:

Heating the fruit

Stirring in the sugar.

Leaving the jars to cool.

As I said, that's all this post is about.  Jam.





Related posts

Fruits of the Forage
Bread and Jam and Circuses
£1.00 a day eating challenge: Day Two

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.