Monday 24 December 2018

Apple Wine News




I find homebrewers and winemakers a little intimidating.  They seem to be very good and asking questions I can't possibly answer, because I don't even understand them.  This should probably prompt me to learn me about the science of wine-making, but it hasn't yet.  This, of course, is my fault, not theirs.

Yesterday I asked whether my apple wine was ready for bottling.  Answers were confusing.  Someone suggested I dilute the two demijohns, because there was too much space left above the liquid for oxygen, which can lead to vinegar.  I don't know why this is true, but true, nevertheless, is what it is.  Others suggested I do no such thing.


I settled this morning on tipping the contents of one into the other, thereby depriving any potential vinegar of its opportunity to exist.  Hopefully, it's not too late.


I'm pleased with how much the liquid (whatever it may turn out to be) has settled, and begun to clear.  This is what you want in a wine. It certainly tasted more like wine than anything else, and much less sweeter than it did when I last racked it off, which I can only assume means that the yeast has gone to work on the sugar. 

What remained from the demijohn went into a bottle, with just a little bit to spare. I'll leave this to "clear" some more (disturbing it has turned it quite cloudy again) before deciding whether or not to bottle the rest.  In the meantime I think I need to invest in a hydrometer. 






Related posts

More Wine!
Wining. Every Day. 
Water, Wine and Other Liquids


******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.