Monday 7 January 2019

#Microgreens #Ecobricks and other little projects for 2019



I didn't get many microgreens grown last year, for one reason or another.  I will correct that oversight this year.  My kitchen shelves are fast becoming a place where various little projects find their home.

Shelf life.
Up top there you can see two trays on which I sowed some dried peas right around new year.  It being the time of year it is, they're taking longer to germinate, but germinate they nevertheless have:


Peas are one the most commonly grown microgreens, but in my very limited experience haven't been the most productive.  The seeds are easy to acquire (I've always just used standard bags of dried peas from the supermarkets) and cheap, so that's probably why, but there's all kinds of others you can grow.  Something to explore more this year.

Meanwhile, you may also have spotted these:


I've got a steady supply of plastic bottles now, attained with the original intention of making ecobricks, another thing I will continue this year, but they're so abundantly available I thought I'd branch out (ha ha) into making some plant pots from them too.  Here's some bottles four four or five holes cut in each, stuffed with soil and compost, and holding some devil's ivy cuttings.  I look forward to seeing them develop into something even more beautiful.

Down on the allotment, I've taken some cuttings from the sage, thyme, rosemary and lavender to root and maybe pass on to friends and others, about which I am feeling double plus good:



Here's another little thing you can do around the house to make the world ever so slightly more planty and slightly less wasteful.  Whenever you're cooking vegetables, save the water and as it cools leave it near a plant that likes humidity.  Here is some just boiled potato water steaming away next to my cheese plant:


When the water is cool, assuming you didn't salt it, you can use this for watering plants around your home, or in the garden.  The nutrients will feed and nourish the soil, and anything growing therein.  If you just tip it down the sink, that won't happen.  So give that a go, too.  Make the mundane amazing.




Related posts

2018: Year of the Shed
My first week as a microgreen gardener
Garlic and Other Surprises
******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. Little bit initiative are required to grow healthy microgreens. I loves it, and I have prepared some blogs regarding it. You may like to visit Practical growing.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome.