Monday 17 June 2019

Grow Your Own Curtains




It's been a dream of mine for some years now to sleep in a room with curtains made entirely of plants.  I'm moved a little closer to living (sleeping?) that dream today by editing the plastic bottle planters I made back in January.  Sadly, most of the devil's ivy cuttings I tried to root inside these have failed to flourish.  So much for being invincible.  But some of them may still be, so hope is not lost.  Still, evidently it's time to...branch out.  Ha ha ha.  Ha.  Oh, you like puns?  Alright then.



Plant pot noodle.  I promise I didn't re-pot this plant like that just to make that pun.  OK, maybe I did.  I like to have fun.

Anyway, with all my mint on the allotment going mad just now, I've been taking plenty of cuttings and this means finding places to put them, if I don't eat or drink them first.  I've had some success with apple mint in a window bottle planter in the kitchen, so I've some hope the same process might work with water mint, too, but so far it's looking a bit pathetic.

Please don't die.
(Also pictured: the remains of a devil's ivy cutting.  You never know).






These cuttings were only taken yesterday though.  Mint cuttings normally take a day or too to wake up if they do decide to root.  I'm more optimistic about the other vines I've rooted into on of my bedroom bottle planters.  These have excellent curtain potential.



You can just see from the pictures here (these things are strangely difficult to photograph) how I've taped up some of the holes in the bottles, which I initially cut much too big.  Water drains out of them far too easily, so I'm hoping this will allow them to retain a little more.


I feel strongly that the more plants you have in your bedroom, the better you will sleep.  I sleep pretty well these days.  But you can never be entirely sure that plants share your agenda.  Plants move in mysterious ways.  Dream on.




Related posts

My #ZeroWaste 2019 So Far
The Decline and Fall of Clarence Park's Sensory Garden
Water, Wine and Other Liquids
Consider the Toilet

I also make videos sometimes.  Here's my latest one:



******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

1 comment:

Your comments are welcome.