Monday 28 January 2019

My #ZeroWaste 2019 (so far)


I think I've more or less cracked this zero waste thing, you know.  I've had a few of false starts, and bright but fleeting bursts of enthusiasm but all in all, I believe I've settled in to ways of routine living that waste as little as possible.  Item: it's nearly one month into the year and so far, I haven't thrown a single thing away.  I even save litter I create while away from home.  Nothing goes in the bin.  That's the rule.

All plastic I've consumed, unwrapped or otherwise accumulated has been stuffed into ecobricks or put aside to be chopped up into ecobrick-able pieces once I've some more suitable tools (a really sharp and sturdy pair of heavy duty scissors ought to do it).  All food scraps go into the compost.  I've been very happy to see that the Co-op's compostable carrier bags are living up to their name and actually breaking down into something organic.

Yes, I just shared a picture of my kitchen compost bin.
Please insert coffee grounds.
I now have nearly seven ecobricks, although I've discovered they need to be much heavier than they currently are.  A 2 litre bottle should weigh at least 666 grams, or so I've been told.  My heaviest so far is only 401 grams, and I thought I'd already crammed as much as I could in there.  Not so.  With the end of a wooden spoon or a long stick, you've got to cram, cram, cram.  Cram until it's really worthy of being called a brick.


Occasionally I still cram suitably soft plastic into the sofa.  Glass beer bottles continue to contribute to my allotment's "bottle beds".




As for water, I either save it use for flushing the toilet, or for water plants.  That only really leaves tins.  My box of tins is nearly full.  I could put them in the "recycling" but who really knows whether they ever get recycled?  Perhaps I could make something out of them, I'm not really sure.  But I am sure they won't be wasted.


I recommend going zero waste as soon as possible.  No messing about.



Related posts

Ecobriking It
Ecobrick News
#Microgreens #Ecobricks and other little projects for 2019
Sitting on a Landfill (Waiting for the End to Come)
How to Own Only One Pair of Shoes (and Get Away With It)

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting and I can see your dedication. I am doing my best to have a very low carbon footprint too. It seems every human activity is destructive or wasteful in some way doesn't it! Alison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Alison. Being human is a strange state of affairs. It's like we're a victim of our own success as a species. I'm taking a permaculture course at the moment, and one of the principles underlying that whole philosophy is that "nature wastes nothing". This appears to be true. Waste is a human concept. We haven't really worked out a way to live as if we're truly natural beings. Hopefully we will before it's too late.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome.