Saturday 9 June 2018

Prayer Plant Pregnancy




After a little and not quite intentional blogging hiatus, I'm back.  There's a lot of things I want to post about but just as a way of easing back in to prolific posting, I'd like to say that I'm happy today because of this.

What's this?  Let's take a closer look.


See that little green speck in the centre of the picture?  That's a prayer plant shoot, that is.  Way back in January, I got a little too excited about the prospect of an imminent spring (a whole two months before the Beast from the East descended to prove me humiliatingly and spectacularly naive) and began to propagate my prayer plant.

Some of the cuttings did not survive.  In fact, more of them died than didn't.  But a few lingered on, slowly, sadly, nonchalantly.  The leaves began to whiter, and as recently as last week, I considered abandoning them to the compost heap altogether.  Then this morning, I noticed the shoot sprouting from the cutting in the kitchen.  I went into the bedroom, where I also keep a potting cutting, and there, too, a shoot:


The parent plant, meanwhile, looks like this.


I was beginning to wonder if my zealous trimming back of the leaves had been a mistake.  Take a look at these somewhat stunned specimens:


But here's another just as recent unfurling, that looks already almost as healthy and vibrant as its older sisters:



Kept out of the strong direct sunlight, that causes prayer plants to shrivel, and the parent continues to thrive. Plants, again and again, teach us to be patient.  Humans live day to day, plants live more at the speed of months.






Related posts

Prayer Plant Propagation
Prayer Plant Progress
The Beast From the East Murdered My Greenhouse
Prayer Plant Curiosities

******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.