Saturday 9 May 2020

#plantsmakepeoplehappy - Fun With Pots and Propagation




I read somewhere about gluing broken plant pots back together and then painting over the joins a while back, and so I've had this kicking around for some time:



The joins I never got around to painting, but I still might, despite what I'm about to show you.  I woke up this morning and checked on some cuttings I've taken recently.and once again, the insatiable "Wandering Jew" (inchplant) has failed to disappoint:





There's just no stopping these things.  Snip off a stem, plop it in some water and you'll have new roots within days.  You just need a stem long enough for one or two "elbows" because that's where the roots grow from.  Make sure the elbow's underwater, and you can't go wrong.



I have inchplants all over the place in my flat.  They're the main feature of my plastic bottle behind-the-bed window shelf, and here's one that decorates my organ:


They just love to grow, seemingly in any conditions you care to put them in.  So it occurred to me it will be interesting to watch the latest inchplant cutting to grow through the side hole in my resurrected pot.  I part-filled (up to the hole) with soil and fed the stem through the hole, then added more soil/compost on top.



Et voila:



No reason I can't add another stem to grow out of the top in time (or maybe even, a different plant entirely - variety!) but for now this can be a more than satisfactory addition to my collection.  Don't forget, #plantsmakepeoplehappy







Related posts

Grow Your Own Curtains
Prayer Plant Propagation
Prayer Plant Curiosities
Snake Plant Propagation Time
Persicaria microcephala
******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. That's a brilliant idea, it will mean breaking the pot in the future if it needs potting on, but I guess not really a problem with a pot that's already been broken once. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I'll necessarily need to break the pot - at least if I just take future cuttings from what's already growing from there :) These things tend to just grow long stems rather than get bushy.

      Delete

Your comments are welcome.