Sunday 20 September 2020

How to Own Only One Pair of Shoes (and Get Away With It) (Part Two)



I would never normally promote, well, anything that can be bought, but today I'm making an exception because I think I may have discovered the perfect pair of shoes, which means I may well never need to buy another pair of shoes again. They're made by a company called Freet - "freedom for feet" - and they're already most comfortable, and I have every confidence they will become the most durable - shoes I've ever worn. The whole schtick of Freet is that shoes should be shaped like your feet actually are, and not squeeze your toes together or raise your heel pointlessly and uncomfortably, as almost all shoes do. Which is so obviously correct and brilliantly simple it's no great surprise it's taken this long for anybody to realise that.  (Google "barefoot shoes" - they're a very recent phenomenon). Truly obvious things are only obvious retrospectively. Why are all shoes not designed to correspond to the actual shape of your feet? I've no idea. It's bonkers, but here we are. Freet. (A fun word to say, too).

Wearing a pair of Freet is as close as you're going to get to feeling as if you're walking around barefoot than, erm, walking around barefoot. Which we'd probably be doing if the surface of the whole world was covered in soft, damp moss or luxurious deep pile carpet, but this of course is not the case. The world is covered in tarmac, concrete, sharp stones, broken glass, twigs, litter, dog poo, and bits of Lego. None of these are things you want to tread on with unprotected feet. Hence, the existence of shoes. 


Now then.  A few years ago I placed my overconfidence in a cheap pair of shoes, glue and some black leather paint.  The belief I had was that I could repair them indefinitely.  This belief was false.  Turns out cheap shoes not only aren't built to last, but aren't built to be repaired either.  This is of course obvious, but it's taken me several years to actually learn it.

Will I be able to repair my Freet shoes indefinitely?  It's too soon to tell.  I've had them about a month now and they still feel good as new.  No signs of wear or tear, places where the rain might get in, and their suitable for all situations - work, casual, probably even formal.  This post is starting to feel like an advertisement, which was not my intention, so I'll stop.  I think I've made my point.  Invest in a good pair of shoes.  The end.






Related posts


******

Please consider disabling your adblockers when reading this site.  I make every effort to ensure no inappropriate, rubbish or offensive advertising appears here, and nothing that is contrary to the spirit of this blog.  So it's really nothing to be afraid of.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome.